Friday, March 16

La Jetee, Mao Zedong and Interpretations

It's blog time, this one is about last week's lecture. In it, the evolution of communication studies in the US was interesting, seeing and reading about how as the 20th century progressed, so did the types of theories and effects. Stephen's example of how in the 1920's a Clark Gabriel ad led to the soar in sales of cigarettes and singlets. I don't know why it stuck in my head, but it did. I liked two quotes that Stephen displayed at the end of the last week's lecture from theorists, in particular:
"Let a hundred flowers bloom;
Let a hundred schools of thought contend."
Mao Zedong
I read about Marshall McLuhan in the textbook, a man who possessed some at-the-time radical ideas, ie. classifying the the "intensity" of various media effects through "hot and cold." Speaking
of radical ideas, there's La Jetee, the film at the culmination of the lecture. My tutor Chris brought up a good point, about how in 1962, when the text was made, the idea of time travel (which the movie is essentially based upon) was as foreign to the director Chris Marker's context as the idea of four decades later the world becoming connected together via the internet.
With the abrupt ending which saw the main character, seemingly a time traveller, shot dead at the airport where the journey began, I interpreted the meaning of La Jetee as time waits for no man, and despite the brilliance of the technology, the man's life was hardly improved by it- it was indirectly ended by it. That wrapped the story up nicely and accurate too.

Though watching a 28 minute short film that was based upon black and white still photos was something I wasn't expecting when I joined this course, I still managed an interpretation of the film. Next week it's Alphaville and I'll be blogging on about the first half of it. Thanks for stopping by :)
Here's some links to other bloggers

No comments: